Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits. I eat them almost nightly in my bowl of cornflakes. It’s actually kind of pathetic how predictable I am! The kids go to bed, I pull out my cornflakes and Blueberries. 😊 It’s no surprise that for Day 2 of my 30 Day Challenge I chose muffins are chock full of blueberries.
How is it going you ask? I love starting off easy. I’m so proud of myself for staying on track all the way to day 2! My husband is surviving the bakes so far. I have used the time after our littlest one is bed, which really helps to reduce the stress around here.
I am really looking forward to the bakes this weekend. I am making corn bread with my daughter and a sugar free apple pie. The last time I made a pie the juice leaked all over my stove and it was a hot mess!! 15 years later (yes, pies have scared me for 15 years!) I hope I have learned a lot and can make a pie that is, well… pie!
But, I digress. Today’s bake is Blueberry Muffins that are Gluten Free, Sugar Free, and potentially Dairy Free. Oh. My. Goodness. The highest compliment I can give is that when my husband tried it, he said they tasted normal. A wonderfully fluffy muffin, just the right amount of sweetness, and packed full of blueberries! I might have eaten 3 of them tonight already. Just look at all those blueberries!!
I adapted a recipe from Flippin’ Delicious (boy were they right!). The original recipe calls for a streusel topping. I made half the muffins with streusel and the other half without. I honestly can’t say which one I like more. I think I ate more just because I kept going back and forth between the two!
I urge you to try these now. You will not regret it!
Low Carb Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- 1/4 cup Xylitol
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum Omit if gluten-free flour blend contains xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup Milk Substitution: May replace with milk substitute
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Fresh Blueberries
Streusel Crumb Topping (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Gluten-Free flour Blend
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Butter of your choice Substitution: Vegan butters work well too
- 1 tablespoon Xylitol
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a muffin pan with muffin cups.
- Make the streusel topping first, if using. Combine the gluten-free flour, coconut sugar, and Xylitol. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- Next, make the muffin batter. In a medium bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, xylitol, xanthan gum (if using), salt, and baking powder.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. In the center of the well, add the oil, milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk the wet ingredients together, then mix with the dry ingredients until just combined. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 17-23 minutes, until light golden brown. Halfway through baking, add the streusel topping.