My step dad has been trying to get me to make granola. It seems that every time I go to visit him he is making granola and tries to share the recipe with me. I always refused. Until now.
Granola always sounded too time consuming to make. I have two little kids and didn’t have time for something that I could buy instead of make. But, this month I am taking a 30 Day Challenge (read about it here) and decided to try something new. So, today is granola day!
It turned out that it is really easy to make. Maybe I should start listening to me elders. 😉 You just mix all your chosen ingredients in a bowl really well, then spread in thin layer on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes.
The beauty of granola is how easy and versatile it is. You can put just about anything into it. Try chocolate chips for a sweet treat, or cayenne pepper for something spicy, or anything in between.
The magic behind granola is to maintain the ratio. Use 6 parts dry ingredients to 1 part wet ingredients. Then season to taste. You can mix and match to your heart’s content! Here are a few suggestions that you can mix and match. But the possibilities are endless!
- Vegetable Oil
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Brown Sugar Syrup
- Corn Syrup
- Maple Syrup
- Wheat germ
- Sunflower seeds
Add these to the granola after it is baked and fully cooled. This does not count towards the 6 parts dry ingredients.
- Chocolate chips
- Dried fruit
What Went Well
- I learned how easy granola is to make. I am really looking forward to making this again with my daughter. She loves measuring and pouring ingredients. this would be perfect for her to help with! And as a bonus, she could have fun getting her hands dirty during the mixing step. Ok, not sure that’s a bonus for me. But bonus for her. 😊
- The granola turned out perfectly. It is a hearty mix, but very tasty.
- Granola is a good way to clean out your pantry. I only had hazelnuts on hand, instead of the walnuts I was looking for. It is still a good granola, but it’s hard to taste much other than hazelnut. Walnuts would be better here.
Also, check out my Facebook Live post walking through how to make granola. If you enjoyed it, please like it.
Want to know more about the magic 6:1 ratio? Read more from Epicurious.
Nutty Granola Recipe
- 3 Cups Oats Not quick acting
- 1 Cup Walnuts, chopped
- 1 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Cup Almond Slices
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Brown Rice Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 300F. In a medium bowl, combine oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and almonds.
- Add coconut oil and brown rice syrup to bowl and mix to combine. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Mix until homogeneous.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool completely, break into small pieces, and store in a tightly sealed container.