Gluten Free / Sugar Free Orange Zest Scones
A few days ago I made these amazing Orange Zest Scones for my 30 Day Challenge. They are so soft and delicious. But there’s one problem. And it’s a big one. They aren’t gluten free! I kept watching my husband eat these amazing Orange Zest Scones day after day. Until I decided to make a gluten free variety. You guessed it. For Day 17 of my 30 Day Challenge, I made Gluten Free/Sugar Free Orange Zest Scones.
These are the best Scones I have ever had!! Ok, so they are the only scones I have ever had. But I can’t imagine them getting any better. The fresh orange adds a little something-something that leaves you wanting to come back for more. You could easily make these without a glaze and serve them plain or with butter or honey. Or (my favorite), you can cover the scones in a fresh orange juice glaze that gives you just the right amount of sweetness.
These Orange Zest Scones can be eaten for breakfast or a snack. I prefer a snack. that way I can eat them all day long. 😊 With recipes as good as this, it is no wonder why I have gained 8 pounds in the first 17 days of my 30 Day Challenge. I.really.must.stop… Want to see the other 17 scrumptious and enticing recipes from the challenge? Check them out here.
Fresh Orange Zest Scones Recipe (Gluten Free / No Sugar Free Added)
Orange Zest Scones
- 2 cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend Add an estimated 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum if gluten-free flour blend does not contain xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Xylitol Substitution: May substitute with favorite granulated sweetener
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, frozen
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Xylitol
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Orange
- Prepare the Orange Glaze first to allow for the glaze to cool. Melt unsalted butter in the microwave.
- Mix 1/4 cup Xylitol into the hot butter. Return to the microwave for 45-60 seconds until Xylitol is melted.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup of Xylitol to the butter mixture. Return to microwave for 45-60 seconds until Xylitol is melted. Be careful as mixture will be VERY hot.
- Add vanilla extract and juice from 1 medium orange. Set aside until cooled, stirring occasionally. Prepare scones while waiting for glaze to cool.
Orange Zest Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine gluten-free all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine xylitol and orange zest until xylitol is moistened and zest is evenly distributed. Combine with flour mixture.
- Grate frozen butter into mixture. Work the butter into the mixture until evenly distributed and mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and sour cream. Stir until well blended and smooth. Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Dough will be sticky. Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll dough to an 8" diameter. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into 8 wedges. Separate and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until light golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Top with glaze.